Libraries Endowments

Donors who are interested in creating a lasting legacy with Clemson Libraries can create named endowments for a designated purpose of their choosing. Endowments managed by the Clemson University Foundation create a permanent revenue source for the Libraries through an annual distribution of the fund’s market value. Creating an endowment requires a gift of at least $25,000 which can be made over five years or through various planned giving options including bequests. During the 2019-2020 academic year, established endowments provided about $525,000 in funding to the Libraries for collection acquisitions, technology resources, special seminars, and research support. We thank our generous supporters who have made this perpetual funding possible.


  • Established Clemson Libraries Endowments

    CJ Shirley Library Endowment The CJ Shirley Library Endowment was established in 1982 by Dr. Joseph A. Shirley (CU 1940) for the purpose of purchasing books, periodicals and similar permanent additions to the library; as well as for other needs as determined by the director of libraries.
    BK & HC Sharp '34 Library Unrestricted Endowment The BK & HC Sharp '34 Library Unrest Quasi- Endow was established in 2003 by Mrs. Helen C. Sharp for the purpose of providing unrestricted support for the Clemson University Libraries.
    Dr. R. Roy & Margery Pearce Endowment The Dr. R. Roy & Margery Pearce was established in 2015 by Dr. R. Roy Pearce (CU 1941) for the purpose of providing unrestricted support for the Robert Muldrow Cooper Library.
    The William J Latimer Endowment The William J Latimer Endowment was established in 1973 for the purpose of purchasing books, manuscripts and other library materials for which appropriated funds are not available.
    Ray A. Johnson Library Endowment The Ray A. Johnson Library Endowment was established in 1997 by Ray A. Johnson (CU 1949) for the purpose of supporting the areas of greatest need at the University as determined by The Foundation Board and the President of the University.
    Frank M. Bishop, Jr. Family Library Endowment The Frank M. Bishop, Jr. Family Library Endowment was established in 1989 by Mr. Frank M. Bishop II (CU 1965) for the purpose of providing support for the annual operations of the Clemson University Libraries.
    Thurmond Endowment The Thurmond Endowment was established in 1986 by Daniel-Mickel Foundation for the purpose of supporting the Strom Thurmond Intstitute of Government and Public Affairs to help enhance awareness of public issues, and thereby, improve the quality of federal, state, and local government. This endowment will support the Institute's five programs; Thurmond Seminars in Government and Politics, Strom and Nancy Thurmond High School Achievement Program, Distinguished Lecturers Program, Lecturer Series, and Governmental Research.
    TB & Rachel D. Sanders Endowed Library Fund The TB & Rachel D. Sanders End Library Fund was established in 2000 by Mr. Thurman B. Sanders (CU 1947) for the purpose of providing funding for library materials for the College of Engineering Science.
    Thurmond Government & Public Affairs Endowment The Thurmond Governmentt & Public Affairs Endowment was established in 1993 by the Strom Thurmond Eduation Fund for the purpose of providing funding for the Strom Thurmond Institute. These funds are for the development of new approaches to addressing the problems of education improvement, economic development, restructuring of state and local government, solid and hazardous waste management, resource management and others.
    Shirley Library Endowment The Shirley Library Endowment was established in 1997 by Dr. Joseph A. Shirley (CU 1940) for the purpose of providing funding in perpetuity for the Clemson University Libraries; term funding for the Clemson University Foundation Permanent Endowment for the purpose of rescinding the mortgage for the Clemson University Foundation Building, and the renaming of the Joseph A. Shirley Center for Philanthropy.
    George G. Matthews, Sr. Endowment for Humanities Library Resources The George G. Matthews, Sr. Endowment for Humanities Library Resources was established in 2001 by Mr. George G. Matthews, Jr. (CU 1969) for the purpose of providing support for resource materials for the School of Humanities. The resource materials are intended initially for five different departments: English, History, Philosophy & Religion, Speech & Communications, and Languages.
    Percy Whitton & Vera S. Moore Memorial Library Endowment The Percy Whitton & Vera S. Moore Memorial Library Endowment was established in 2004 by Mr. Percy W. Moore (CU 1925) for the purpose of providing support for the Clemson University Libraries.
    Library of the Future Endowment The Library of the Future Endowment was established in 2008 by Mr. Leavell A. Wall, Jr. for the purpose of supporting progressive programs and innovative library services designed to enhance the learning experience for student and faculty research.
    Hugh & Mary K. Dukes Memorial Endowment for the Library The Hugh & Mary K. Dukes Memorial Endowment for the Library was established in 1996 by Dr. Henry H. Dukes (CU 1915) for the purpose of supporting the Robert Muldrow Cooper Library.
    McKenzie-Arnette Endowment The McKenzie-Arnette Endowment was established in for the purpose of providing scholarships to Clemson University students, library support, and faculty enrichment.
    K.G. Caughman, Jr. '48 and C.B. Endowment The K.G. Caughman, Jr. '48 and C.B. Endowment was established in 2012 by Mr. Kenneth G. Caughman, Jr. (CU 1948) for the purpose of providing unrestricted operating support for the Robert Muldrow Cooper Library.
    Osef-Lee Family Library Endowment The Osef-Lee Family Library Endowment was established in 2007 by Mr. Wayne R. Osef (CU 1970) for the purpose of providing unrestricted funds for the Clemson University Libraries.
    Wilbur N. Ginn Family Unrestricted Library Endowment The Wilbur N. Ginn Family Unrestricted Library Endowment was established in 2016 by Capt. Wilbur N. Ginn (CU 1941) for the purpose of providing unrestricted support for the Clemson University Libraries.
    Frank S. and Loraine B. Hanckel Family Endowment for the Clemson University Libraries The Frank S. and Loraine B. Hanckel Family Endowment for the Clemson University Libraries was established in 2005 by Mr. Francis S. Hanckel Jr. (CU 1955) for the purpose of providing unrestricted support for the Clemson University Libraries.
    Clemson University Library Endowment The Clemson University Library Endowment was established in 1989 by Clemson Unviersity Athletic Department for the purpose of acquisition of materials and equipment for the University Libraries.
    Dr. C. Waldron Bolen Memorial Endowment The Dr. C. Waldron Bolen Memorial Endowmend was established in 1997 by Mr. Frank L. Gentry (CU 1964) for the purpose of providing support for resource materials for the History Department in the School of Humanities within the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities. The materials will be housed in the Robert Muldrow Cooper Library.
    Horace W. Fleming Award The Horace W. Fleming Award was established in 1991 for the purpose of providing an annual award for a political science student as well as an undergraduate internship in the Strom Thurmond Institute.
    Roy B. Jeffcoat, '55, Family Endowment for Clemson Libraries The Roy B. Jeffcoat, '55, Family Endowment for Clemosn Libraries was established in 2004 by Mr. Roy B. Jeffcoat (CU 1955) for the purpose of providing support for the Clemson University Libraries.
    Robin Richards Memorial Library Endowment The Robin Richards Memorial Library Endowment was established in 2014 by Mrs. Robin Richards (CU 1979).
    Ernest & Patricia Briel Library Endowment The Ernest & Patricia Briel Library Endowment was established in 2001 by Mr. Ernest M. Briel (CU 1955) for the purpose of the modernization and expansion of the Clemson University Libraries, directed toward making the Clemson Libraries more directly supportive of the academic and research activities of the University and accessible to everyone.
    Sidelle B. Ellis Library Quasi-Endowment The Sidelle B. Ellis Library Endowment was established in 2000 by Ms. Sidelle Ellis for the purpose of providing unrestricted support for the Clemson Libraries.
    Dr. Harold N. Cooledge, Jr. Library Endowment The Dr. Harold N. Cooledge, Jr. Library Endowment was established in 1995 by Dr. Harold N. Cooledge Jr. for the purpose of providing unrestricted support for the Sigma Alpha Zeta 50th Anniversary Library Presentation Studio, or its successor, located in the Clemson University Cooper Library.
    Bob and Cathy Hines Library Book Fund The Bob and Cathy Hines Library Book Fund was established in 1993 by Mr. John R. Hines for the purpose of annual purchases of new volumes for the Clemson University Libraries.
    R. Waller Library Endowment The R. Waller Library Endowment was established in 1989 by Dr. John H. Butler for the purpose of improving and increasing the Department of Philosophy and Religion's library collection with attention to other library resources in the Humanities.
    Beulah Rives Wilson and John Wilson Endowment Library Fund The Beulah Rives Wilson and John Wilson Endowment Library Fund was established in 2000 by Mrs. Beulah R. Wilson for the purpose of technology enhancements for the Robert Muldrow Cooper Library.
    B. Tate Horton, Sr. Endowment History Book Fund The B. Tate Horton, Sr. Endowment History Book Fund was established in 1999 by Mrs. Geraldine M. Horton for the purpose of purchasing history books for the Robert Muldrow Cooper Library.
    Joseph F. Boykin, Jr. Library The Joseph F. Boykin, Jr. Library was established in 2006 by Mrs. Tiffany J. Van Daele (CU 1995) for the purpose of providing support for the Clemson University Libraries.
    Jerry O. Chapman and Beth M Chapman Library Book Fund The Jerry O. Chapman and Beth M Chapman Library Book Fund was established in 2005 by Mr. Jerry O. Chapman (CU 1971) for the purpose of providing support for library materials.
    Edwin H. O'Keeffe Memorial Library Edowment The Edwin H. O'Keeffe Mememorial Library Endowment was established in 2007 by Mr. Whitney C. O'Keeffe for the purpose of providing new books for the Clemson University Libraries.
    RL & LB Dobson Endow Library The RL & LB Dobson Endow Library was established in 2001 by Mr. Bob L. Dobson (CU 1968) for the purpose of providing support for The R. M. Cooper Library
    Peggy H. Cover Library Book The Peggy H. Cover Library Book was established in 2006 by Mrs. Peggy H. Cover for the purpose of providing support for Library materials for the Reference Collection.
    Sigma Nu Library Endowment The Sigma Nu Library Endowment was established in 1998 by Mr. Douglas D. Richardson (CU 1964) for the purpose of acquisition of print and electronic media for the Clemson University Libraries.
    Walter L Warnock '76 Library Fund Endowment The Walter L Warnock '76 Library Fund Endowment was established in 2013 by Mr. Walter L. Warnock (CU 1976) for the purpose of providing new books and materials for the Clemson University Libraries.
    Paul and Verbia Quattlebaum Endowment The Paul and Verbia Quattlebaum Endowment was established in 2014 by Mr. Paul Quattlebaum, Jr. (CU 1933) for the purpose of providing support for University Archives.

 

Alumni and friends interested in establishing an endowment with Clemson Libraries can contact Paul Brammer at pbramme@clemson.edu or 540-521-6968.