NOTICE: The Open Access Publishing Fund has been fully encumbered for Fiscal Year 2019-2020. You may still complete and turn in the request form if you would like to be added to a waiting list in case more funding is made available.
Reputable and fully open access journals are changing the landscape of scholarly communication and Clemson University Libraries is committed to supporting this effort. If you have a publication that meets the award conditions listed below:
- Download and complete the Funding Request Form.
- Email Chris Vinson the completed form before payment of any fees to an Open Access journal publisher. The Libraries cannot reimburse authors for fees incurred before approval of a funding request.
- Funds not to exceed $1,500 will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Clemson faculty, adjunct faculty, researchers, post-docs, and graduate students in all disciplines are eligible to apply.
- Individual authors restricted to one award per year.
- Application for funding must be completed at the time of submission or immediately upon an article’s acceptance for publication.
- Authors must request a match from their department, college, or an outside granting agency. Without a match, full funding cannot be guaranteed.
- Awards will be paid directly to the publisher, not to the author(s).
- Funds may be used to cover publication fees, submission fees, or illustration fees.
- Only reputable and fully open access publications will be eligible for funding. Hybrid journals are excluded. “Reputability” will be determined by the Libraries in consultation with the applicant, the Directory of Open Access Journals, the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association, and Beall’s List.
- In the case of cross-institutional co-authors, the Clemson researcher must apply for the award and be listed as the first author. Award will be prorated.
- Authors agree to cite the fund as a source of support within the article.
- Authors must deposit a copy of the funded article in Clemson University’s TigerPrints institutional repository.
Head of Library Technology
864 656 3622
About the Fund
Clemson University Libraries is committed to supporting its faculty community in their efforts to share the results of their research broadly, quickly, and openly. Often, this is accomplished by legally sharing accepted manuscripts through an institutional repository or academic social networking site. However, the Libraries also recognizes the important role fully open access journals play in the changing landscape of scholarly communication, as well as the economic realities authors face in choosing to make their works fully OA.
This is a time of great experimentation in revenue generation for Open Access journals. In the spirit of the Compact for Open-Access Publishing (COPE), Clemson University Libraries recognizes “the need for a stable source of funding for publishers who choose to provide open access to their journals’ contents.” To concretely support fully Open Access publishers, the Libraries has committed to seeding a fund to underwrite the journal processing fees of Clemson University authors who choose to publish their research articles in peer-reviewed, reputable open-access journals, monographs, or conference proceedings.
Visit the Open Access Publishing Fund collection in TigerPrints view the open access works supported by this initiative:
This policy has been drafted based on the Compact for Open-Access Publishing Equity.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.