The Library Services Desk provides current students, faculty, and staff with a wide selection of technology that may be loaned out for university-related use.
Cooper Library Technology Use Policy
Borrowing any piece of technology represents your agreement to the following policies:
- Only active students and employees whose accounts are in good standing may borrow technology. Community patrons and alumni are not permitted to borrow technology.
- Only one of each item may be borrowed per account, e.g. one SLR and one tripod.
- All technology checks out for three days with the exception of tablets, tablet accessories and gaming kits (1 week). Accessories such as cords and phone chargers are available on an hourly basis.
- Reservations may be submitted via the online form or at the Library Services desk. Please note we will do our best to fulfill reservations but due to heavy demand they are not guaranteed. Reservations are confirmed via email up to one day in advance of the request.
- All technology not reserved is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Select items require an appointment to checkout. See technology pages for specific items and appointment instructions.
- To prevent monopolization of materials, staff may invoke a one day wait period before allowing a borrower to check out same material again. Technology may not be renewed.
- All technology must be returned to the Library Services Desk before it closes on the due date. Patrons are expected to note Library Services hours for their due date. Do not leave technology for return while the desk is unattended.
- Abuse of the checkout policy will result in the suspension of technology checkout privileges. Suspension period ranges from one month to permanently and will be considered on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Technology Lending Coordinator and/or Circulation Manager.
Fines and Damages
- Late fees vary per item. See technology pages for specific item rates. Fines are assessed for each day or portion thereof that the item is returned past its due date. If there are extenuating circumstances preventing timely return, please contact the Library Services desk before the item becomes overdue.
- Items must be returned in the same condition they were borrowed. Users are responsible for any damage and/or loss or theft of technology items checked out on their account. Users are expected to report any problems experienced with technology during their borrowing period.
- Items returned missing pieces will remain checked out to the user until all pieces are returned. Users will be responsible for any late fees that accrue as a result. If the missing piece is lost, users should contact the Library Services desk immediately to report the lost piece and discuss replacement options.
- If an item is 7 days overdue, it is considered lost or stolen, and the borrower will be charged for its replacement. Replacement fees include the actual cost of replacement plus a $25.00 processing fee. If the item is returned after a replacement fee is charged the amount will be adjusted to what is owed in overdue fees.
- Patrons are responsible for saving their data to their own computer and erasing data thereafter.
- We will take reasonable steps to erase any remaining data from devices returned containing memory storage. Images/videos left on devices may be viewed during this process.
- Library technology is intended for university-related use. Use of library technology is subject to the rules and laws of the state of South Carolina and the applicable policies of Clemson University. Images/videos containing illegal activity found on devices will be turned over to University Police.